Home Page

Powered By

Layout Design:
Blogs Gone Wild!

Powered by Blogger

From country to city, From farm to fireworks…Through marriage & children, Through employment & ownership, Life continues to be an amazing journey…

Wednesday, December 27

Gerald Ford Dies At 93


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos

On a really cold snow flurry day in Reno, the flags fly at half mast in honor of Gerald Ford. Mr. Ford seemed to me to be a really decent man. A man that you don't often remember that way. I think ex-President Ford was a true American. I believe, somewhat like George W. Bush, he took over that office at a time when shit was hitting the fan, and he had the backbone and stamina to make it better.

I was only 14 years old in 1976, and politics or the state of the union was the last thing on my mind. I had forgotten he pardoned President Nixon. I didn't realize that it was one of Charles Manson's followers that tried to assassinate him. I had forgotten that he only became Vice President after the fall of Spiro Agnew. Today, looking back at the history I do remember, I think even more of Gerald Ford.

I was a bit taken back remembering, or just finding out the whole story of his pardon of Nixon that probably cost him the election following...but when I heard his quote...it brought it more into perspective. "If you cannot forgive someone, you might as well let that person live in your head forever rent free." That was paraphrased a bit from what I heard on the news this morning, but the gist is there. What an amazing insight. I would have hung Nixon for embarrassing the office and the GOP.

May you rest in peace Mr. Ford, and may we all learn a bit from your common man approach and belief in the right thing to do and when to do it. You served our country well, and more than that...you served your family well for many years. That is truly the measure of a real man.

I wonder if Jesus just can't help himself...and the welcoming party is just a little fancier and a little larger than life when someone like Gerald Ford shows up at the pearly gates?

Click HERE to read about all the wonderful and famous people that left this world in 2006. There's quite an honorable list of rookies in heaven this year :)

0 comments: